About Me

My photo
Roxanne Storlie is a mixed media fiber artist, Roxanne has always been creative. Her skills come from having to be self sufficient as a military brat and wife. Talents cover everything from house painting, hanging wallpaper, sewing clothes, interiors, landscaping, electrical and more. Over the years, her seamstress skills have been put to great use. She has been making shawls, scarves, jewelry and clothing. She also sews pillows, bedding, curtains, general interior items the list goes on and on. In addition to retail, Roxanne offers classes in Sewing, hand painted fabric, duct tape dress forms, fitting, draping with new classes being created often.

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Projects

While in Paso I was helping my daughter Karrin with some projects. She is having a Mad Hatter Tea Party for a birthday party. I was painting and helping her come up with more ideas. Somehow I have managed to have two very creative daughters.



Here we are attempting to make mushrooms out of paper mache that she wanted to put around the yard for the party. It was a pain trying to get the paste to cooperate with us.









    




     This was the painting station where wooden spools were being painted to be turned into a necklace that will be worn by the birthday girls. (There are two woman celebrating their birthdays together, one is my daughter Karrin.)























     Here is a close up of the spools that we painted.







     Well, who knew that while on my road trip I would be altering a bride's maids dress? Karrin ordered a dress from a company in China at the request of the bride to be. When she got the dress, she can't zip it in the area of her ribs. So, now I am not only hemming this dress but have to take it apart and try to make it fit with what little fabric I have available to me. This will be a challenge to make it look like part of the design of the dress. I forgot to take a before picture but I will take an after picture to show. I forgot to take pictures of both before and after. I managed to get the dress back together and it fits her. I think I did a good job of making it look like it might have been part of the original design of the dress. Altering Karrin's bridesmaid dress was a major challenge. I made it work and the dress fits her, Yeah! It took me 2 days of figuring and fitting and sewing and ripping out. Whew. It has rouching around the bust area and I tried to copy this as best as I could with what little fabric I had to work with. All the while we are trying to get the dress done her dog is begging us to go outside and play with him. He is so cute.


     In between trying to get this dress done, we went downtown in Paso Robles and took pictures. We had lunch at "The Touch of Paso" restaurant where we used to go every weekend with Karrin's grandparents (who have both passed). Both of us sat there and just looked around. We had not been in the restaurant since her grandfather had passed. It was a bitter sweet experience. Neither of us was prepared for all the emotion that was running through our heads. We ate our lunch in silence and did not begin to talk again until I paid the bill. The owner of the place actually remembered me. He came out of the kitchen to greet me. That was so pleasant to be remembered after all these years.

No comments:

Post a Comment